It is difficult to know where to start! The whole area is a walkers’ paradise. There are short or long walks, flat or steep walks – in fact, any type of walk to fit almost any ability.
A short walk along the beach in front of the house can be enjoyed by many.
The Inchree Waterfall is a short walk from the house. There are various paths in the Inchree area so a walk can be as long or short as you wish.
The Lost Valley in Glencoe.
Glencoe Lochan a gem of a walk.
The Forestry Commission Path at Glenahulish is a short drive from Camus House, allows access to a relatively high vantage point from where panoramic views over Loch Linnhe or down Loch Leven can be enjoyed.
These are just a few of the more popular and easy walks in the immediate area. We would be happy to provide details of many others. The area is renowned for its’ numerous walks and climbs to suit the serious hill walker with the mountains of Glencoe, the Mamores and Ben Nevis and the Nevis range within easy reach (see Fort William Walks).
Climbing on rock or ice can be practised safely indoors at the spectacular indoor climbing arena, “The Ice Factor” at Kinlochleven.
World renowned downhill course at Anoach Mhor and Leanachan Forest Trails. Bike hire is available in the area.
Boat trips can be enjoyed from various locations around the area, especially Fort William, Glenfinnan and Arisaig. You can also cruise on Loch Ness. Boat trips can take a couple of hours or a whole day depending on which you choose. We have information on numerous options and are happy to advise.
Fishing is available either on seawater or freshwater locations. Freshwater includes river and loch fishing, mainly for trout but maybe also Salmon.
Sailing, canoeing, small motor boats are available in the area. Even White water rafting is possible (I’m told!). Many of these crazy activities, including Canyoning and something called Bridge Swinging (don’t ask!) as well as more reasonable activities like mountain bike hire are provided by “vertical Descents” based a couple of miles away at Inchree.
- The Fort William Leisure Centre with indoor swimming pool.
- The Nevis Centre with ten pin bowling www.neviscentre.co.uk/superbowl
- Gondola rides up The Nevis Range (behind Ben Nevis) www.nevisrange.co.uk/mountain-gondola/nevis-range-mountain-gondola
- Treasures of the Earth A fascinating exhibition highlighting the various natural rocks and gems of the area and further afield.
- The Steam Train or “Harry Potter Express” which runs from Fort William to Mallaig during Summer months. Booking is essential so check it out before your visit
- The Seal Sanctuary between Onich and Oban where seals and otters and various marine life can be viewed and touched! www.sealsanctuary.co.uk
- Ben Nevis Distillery
The region boasts many art, crafts and gift shops and galleries.